Certina DS – 1st Turtleback
Manual – Anno 1961
- Model: Certina DS – 1st Turtleback
- Case : stainless steel
- Caliber: 25-36
- Movement: manual
- Reference #: 5101 013
- Year of production: 1961
- Size. 36 mm. (ex. crown).
- Crown: Original
- In the middle of the fifties, a team under the guidance of engenieer Philipp Kurth wanted to design a wristwatch as rugged as possible. Through countless experiments they finally developed the construction principle of the DS models. DS stands for “Double Safety”. This was achieved by a floated mounting of the entire movement with an elastic shock absorber ring in addition to the conventional shock absorber (Incabloc). Aside from that, there was an air gap between the dial and case. So the movement could move in all directions. Other features were additional sealings, an extra thick and sheathed Plexiglass, combined with the enhanced caseback.
Despite the classical styling with the Bombay band lugs, the watch was very robust. She held out bumps up to 6 meters and was water resistant up to 200 meters. The first watches, which came on market in 1958, had a flat caseback whitout the turtle logo. As movement, the 25-45 was used. Very early specimens still had a evidence to the patent application instead of the patent number engraved on the inseide of the caseback. This patent (346825) was related to the shock mount of the movement and was registered on 8. Mai 1958 by case manufacturer Huguenin Fréres (see patent drawing on the right).
From the end of 1960, the new calibre 25-65 respectively 25-651 was used and from then on the famous turtle was engraved in the caseback. The manual wind version had a flat, and the automatic version a waved caseback.
- Special: In the period 1958 – 1968 Certina produced the legendary Certina DS (Double Security) – Only 300.000 were made and this is not only one of the wathces from the very first production af Certina DS but also among one of the few or only Certina DS with the Calibre 25-36 ever seen up for sale in a perfect – near to mint – condition as this splendid timepiece.
- Special: The very frist Certina DS production with the unique and very first variation of the Certina Dive trademark – the famous turtleback – inprinted on the back-case.
- Rem: uret er monteret på et NOS Hirsch rem i kalvelæder i modellen Mustang – der i sit design er identisk med den original produceret rem til netop Certina DS-serien.
- Case: 4
- Caliber: 6
- Dial: 4
Terms and conditions:
*Terms and Conditions apply, according to the Danish Sales of Goods Act (and the CISG).
(Guarentee certificate). For WC classification the following applies:
10: LNIB 9: Mint – 8: Near Mint 7: Excellent 6: Very good 5: Good 4: Fair
To read a closer description visit our website on www.wristchronology.com, grading system)
*In accordance with the Danish Sales of Goods Act we offer 14 day sale or return on used items. However, Wrist Chronology is well aware of the investment involved in acquiring a vintage watch. Thus, we would like to inspire a more secure and trusting experience upon purchasing a vintage time piece.
That is why we, unless otherwise noted, offer a full 1-year (mechanical) warranty on all of our watches.
- The right to complain covers malfunction (the clock stops running) due to clockwork error.
- However, the right to complain does not cover malfunction caused by miscarriage or damage.
- Upon mechanical malfunctions, the watch is to be handed in / sent to our workshop, where we will carry out the necessary repair this as soon as possible.
- For tolerance connected to mechanical watches, the following values normally apply:
- +/- 10-30 seconds per day comprising watches both above in and the ‘excellent’ category.
- For waterproof watches the warranty does not cover water damage, as vintage mechanical watches are exempted from being actually waterproof due to date.